Tuesday 10 March 2015

Review; Liz Earle 'Cleanse and Polish'

Liz Earle ‘Cleanse and Polish’
Under normal circumstances, my skin is reasonably clear. Fairly dry with the occasional blemish. I would describe my complexion as ‘ruddy’, like a little farmhand from a Dickens novel.  In the heat I go red, not gloriously and deliciously tanned as I would like. In the cold I go red and blotchy and sometimes I get breakouts around the time my period is due.
From around 6 weeks pregnant, the skin on my face went crazy! I had strange dry patches, spots on my cheeks and a slightly greasy nose. Changes in skin during pregnancy are completely normal due to all the hormonal changes going on inside your body but whilst it may be normal, it doesn’t stop you looking and feeling like a bag of crap (for want of a better word). And if you’ve felt anything like I did during the first 12ish weeks of pregnancy, your skin going doo-lally does not help matters. So I have been looking for products to balance my skin and just generally make me feel a bit fresher. Cue this little tube of loveliness...
Liz Earle

I have been wanting to try this product for a while now. I can’t remember specifically who recommended it but I think it may have been one of the few YouTubers I subscribe to. Previously, I had been using the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm. Now, there was (and still is) so much hype surrounding the EH. Although I don’t like to think of myself as a bandwagon type girl, I do like to know what’s out there and what it’s about. I have to say, I did enjoy using the Amazing Face, but due to its mega expensive price tag, I used it very sparingly. I was pretty sad to get to the bottom of the tub. I know that many beauty bloggers would not use the term ‘mega expensive’ to describe this as there are many other products that are way more expensive, and for the price and quality, it is cheap compared to other things. But I am above all else, a realist and I know that your average lady does not have a spare £40 to spend on skincare, but if you do…I would recommend it…or if you have a birthday or the like coming up and can ask for something like this.
But on to the Liz Earle
I haven’t actually finished using this, I still have at least half of it left. I wanted to begin a review though, as I am sure I will feel the same about it when it is finished. So far, I have really enjoyed this product. At around £14 for 100ml, although still pricey, it wont break the bank. It has a pump which I like as it isn’t too fiddly and you don’t waste it by getting it everywhere or spilling it when you knock it over with your expanding belly (ahem).
It has a smooth consistency that thickens slightly as you work it into the skin. It is gentle on the skin, it does not sting or have an overwhelming scent. It smells like peppermint which is pleasant. I have a funny relationship with smell, which I will write about in a pregnancy related memoir at another time, suffice to say I had a strong sense of smell, and the smallest odor could turn me on or make me gag. This product smells and feels very refreshing. After rinsing the product off with a muslin cloth (or flannel, as I use) if you splash your face with cold water, it honestly leaves you feeling clean and refreshed, ready to face the day or climb into bed!
I have been using the product in the morning and at night, it is suitable for both. I follow up by using a decent moisturizer. My skin has always been dry so this is a vital step for me. I have been using The Body Shop Vitamin E Intense Moisture Cream which I will happily review if anybody would like.
So to sum up, I would recommend this product. The only negative I have to report is that it can be tricky to get hold of. I was looking for it for a good few weeks before eventually buying it on eBay. Not all Boots stock it, and as I am pretty stingy with money (largely due to me not having a great deal) I do not want to fork out on the Liz Earle website for p&p. But if it were readily available in my local Boots, I think it would  have the potential to become a firm favourite of mine! I would love to try out some different Liz Earle products and will be keeping my eyes peeled for any offers.

I hope you have enjoyed this review. Please let me know in the comments if you have tried this or any other Liz Earle products. Or just let me know what you are using at the minute!
Take care,
Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment